This Loaded Baked Potato Soup is rich and creamy with all the toppings! This is a rich and creamy soup made with homemade chicken broth, heavy cream, and tender chunks of potatoes, topped with shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, and crispy pieces of turkey bacon.
This is my older sister’s favorite soup and it is delicious, filling, and easy to make when the temperatures start to drop.
Key Ingredients in Loaded Baked Potato Soup
The best potatoes for this soup is a good starchy potato – like russets.
The chicken broth is one of the major components of this soup. The soup will taste like whatever broth you are using. Water would make this soup a little bit more bland tasting and a rich broth would make the soup rich and flavorful.
Use chicken or veggie broth to maximum flavor!
Veggies, Herbs, and Spices
The rest of the soup is made up of chopped onions, celery, garlic, freshly ground black pepper, fresh or dried thyme, and cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper adds a tiny bit of spice that complements the potatoes, chicken broth, and heavy cream very nicely.
The heavy cream makes the soup rich, creamy, and delicious.
The toppings really bring everything together. I topped my soup with lots of shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions from my garden, and crispy turkey bacon.
Looking For Comforting Winter Recipes?
What is your favorite soup to eat in the winter?
If you made this Loaded Baked Potato Soup, let me know in the comments, leave me a star rating, or tag me on Instagram (@themidwestkitchenblog). Enjoy!Print
This Loaded Baked Potato Soup is rich and creamy with all the toppings! This rich and creamy potato soup has homemade chicken broth, heavy cream, and tender chunks of potatoes, topped with shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, and crispy pieces of turkey bacon.
- 3 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 – 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or one fresh thyme spring
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 – 6 cups russet potatoes, 4 – 5 large potatoes (chopped)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
8 – 10 pieces crispy turkey bacon
Green onions, chopped
- Heat ghee/ vegetable oil in a large pot. Saute the chopped onions and celery until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then add in the salt, ground black pepper, fresh or dried thyme, cayenne pepper, chicken broth, and cubed potatoes.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook covered for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender but still a little firm.
- Add half of the soup into a blender, and blend until smooth. Add it back to the pot. Then add in the heavy cream and taste for seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, crispy turkey bacon, and chopped green onions. Enjoy!
Keywords: loaded baked potato soup, baked potato soup, potato soup, potato recipes, soups