Fresh, hot out of the oven Buttermilk Biscuits are a great joy. Soft and buttery with flaky layers covered in butter and honey is always a great treat.
Adapted from Magnolia Journal
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 – 2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup cold, unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 – 1 1/4 cups Homemade buttermilk*
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees
- Mix together the dry ingredients – all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture with your hands until you have coarse crumbles of butter.
- Mix in the buttermilk, a little at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Gently knead the dough once or twice to create layers. Then press the dough flat into a baking pan, about 11x 9 rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits but don’t separate.
- Bake in 400F degree oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
*You can make homemade buttermilk by adding a teaspoon of lemon juice to the milk.
Keywords: biscuits, Buttermilk, buttermilk biscuits