These Crispy Shredded Hash Browns are easy to make with simple ingredients, and are the perfect addition to your breakfast plate! The potatoes are seasoned and fried in a cast-iron skillet for the ultimate crisp!
We love a good crispy hash brown for breakfast, or lunch, dinner, or even as a fun snack. My family and I have been trying not to eat as many potato chips lately, and these have been the perfect replacement. They are the perfect mix of soft and tender on the inside and crispy crunchy on the outside. And because this recipe is super easy to make, in no time we have a plate filled with crunchy and delicious hash browns.
You can serve them with a side of scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, and green onions, or as a snack with ketchup or sour cream.
Tips for Making the Perfect Hash Browns
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure here.
These are the best potatoes to fry. Russets have a neutral but very potatoey flavor and they get really crispy when fried.
Ghee or vegetable oil
Use homemade ghee or a good-quality vegetable oil that has a high smoke point. You want your potatoes to get really crispy, and you don’t want the oil to burn in the process.
Cast iron skillet
There’s something about a good ole cast iron skillet that will make all of your food crispier, and these hash browns are no exception! We love our cast iron skillets and they make for the best and crispiest potatoes. I used an 8-inch skillet for this recipe.
Kitchenaid Shredder Attachment
One of the things that can deter me from making anything that involves shredded potatoes is having to shred them. We used to shred potatoes with a handheld grater and it wasn’t fun.
However, we recently bought this shredder attachment for our Kitchen Aid mixer and it has changed the game!
I shredded the potatoes in less than 5 minutes and it was great. I used the smallest size in the pack and it produced longer strands than the handheld grater which helps the hash browns to stay together better.
The potatoes are seasoned with salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Grated onions would also be a great addition!
How To Make Crispy Shredded Hash Browns
1. Shred your potatoes using either a box grater or the KitchenAid Shredder attachment. Rinse the potatoes in cool water to get the starch off. Then allow the potatoes to drain in a strainer over a bowl for a few minutes.
2. Next, add the shredded potatoes to a large bowl, with the flour and seasonings. Mix until the potatoes are coated in the flour. Then add in the beaten egg.
3. Heat a small cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat with a few tablespoons of ghee or vegetable oil. Add ½ cup of the potato mixture to the hot oil, then evenly spread the potatoes. Try to avoid adding excess liquid into the pan.
4. Fry the hash brown for 5 – 7 minutes or until it turns golden brown and starts to pull away from the sides of the skillet. Flip and cook until brown, another 3 minutes, add more ghee as needed.
5. Repeat with the rest of the potato mixture.
6. Serve with scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, and green onions. Enjoy!
Tools You May Need For This Recipe
Looking For More Breakfast Recipes?
If you try this recipe – leave a comment, a star rating, or tag me on Instagram (@themidwestkitchenblog)! Thank you for reading, enjoy!Print
These Crispy Shredded Hash Browns are easy to make with simple ingredients, and are fried in a cast-iron skillet for the ultimate crisp! Serve with scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, and green onions for a delicious breakfast.
- 1.5lb russet potatoes (3 medium potatoes), peeled and shredded
- 1/2 beaten egg, I used 2 tbsp
- 3 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Ghee or vegetable oil for frying
Green onions for garnish
Ketchup or sour cream for serving
- Rinse the shredded potatoes with cool water, then allow them to drain in a strainer for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl add the potatoes, flour, salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper, then mix to coat. Then add in the beaten egg.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons of ghee or vegetable oil. Add ½ cup of the potato mixture into the hot oil, and gently pat the potatoes down evenly. Cook until it’s very golden brown and the potatoes start to pull away from the edges of the skillet (5 – 7 minutes), then flip and cook the other side until it is very crispy and brown as well (3 – 5 minutes).
- Repeat and fry the rest of the hash browns.
- Serve with scrambled eggs and turkey bacon. Enjoy!
Mix the potatoes with the flour before you add the egg so the egg doesn’t clump together.
This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled
Makes 3 – 4 hash brown patties
Keywords: crispy hash browns, hash browns, breakfast potatoes