This crispy and juicy Chicken Fried Chicken recipe is completely dairy free! This southern favorite is tender, flavorful, and delicious served with garlic mashed potatoes and homemade pan gravy!
- 2 large chicken breasts split in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 large eggs
- Oil for frying, I used avocado oil
Homemade Pan gravy
- 3 - 4 tablespoons of chicken cooking oil
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups cold chicken broth*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Start by setting up your drenching stations.
- Mix flour, 1 ¼ teaspoon salt, and the rest of the seasonings together in a large bowl. Add whisked egg to a shallow baking dish. Set up a wire rack over a sheet pan.
- Rinse and cut the chicken breasts into cutlets. Place your palm on the top of the breast then cut horizontally until all the way through so you’ll have 2 pieces. Repeat with the other chicken breast. Season all the chicken with 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Working with one piece at a time, dip the chicken in the flour mixture then the egg, shaking off any excess, then back into the flour mixture. Set on a wire rack and repeat with the other pieces of chicken.
- Heat a cast iron dutch oven on medium-high heat with several inches of oil. Once hot gently add the chicken, and work in batches if needed. Fry for 4 - 5 minutes per side until golden brown. Set on a wire rack to drain.
- In a medium skillet, add flour and 3 - 4 tablespoons of the oil you cooked the chicken in, whisking together. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes to moisten the flour and until it smells like pie crust.
- Whisk in cold chicken broth, salt, and black pepper. Allow it to come to a boil then cook for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve Chicken fried chicken with homemade pan gravy and mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
*Use cold chicken broth to help avoid lumps in your pan gravy
Coat the chicken in the flour mixture one more time before frying if it starts to look a little wet, this will help it to be extra crispy.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 - 5 days.
Store in the freezer: wrap each piece of chicken in plastic wrap then place it into the plastic bag. Keep frozen for several months.
Keywords: dairy free fried chicken, dairy free chicken fried chicken, chicken, chicken dinner, no buttermilk recipe