Homemade Double - Crust Chicken Pot Pie is a family favorite, there are never any leftovers because it’s just that delicious! Two buttery, flaky crusts are filled with cubed chicken breast, a very delicious, full of flavor sauce, and mixed veggies.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil/ ghee
- 1 lb cubed chicken breast
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 celery stalk (diced)
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups Homemade Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup mixed vegetables
- egg wash (1 egg beaten + 1 tbsp water + 1 pinch salt)
- I doubled my Tomato Tart Crust recipe, divided the dough in half, and froze both halves until I needed them for this recipe.
Pot Pie Filling
- Start by heating a cast- iron skillet with vegetable oil/ ghee and adding the cubed chicken breast. Add salt, pepper, all-purpose seasoning, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Cook until meat is cooked through and starting to brown. Remove from the skillet.
- In the same skillet that you cooked the chicken, add more ghee and saute the onions, carrots, and celery until soft, and just starting to brown, 5 - 7 minutes. Then remove from the skillet.
- Next, whisk together the melted butter and the all-purpose flour in the skillet. Cook until the flour mixture starts to smell like pie crust, 1 - 2 minutes, consistently stirring.
- Add the chicken broth to the flour mixture, while whisking. Then add the milk. Cook until the sauce starts to bubble.
- Add the cooked veggies and chicken to the sauce, taste, and adjust seasoning if needed. Then add the frozen mixed veggies. Turn off the heat and allow the Chicken Pot Pie filling to cool for about 30 minutes. You want the filling to just barely be warm so that it doesn't melt the pie crust. The residual heat from the sauce and the stove will cook the frozen veggies.
- After the pie filling is cooled, preheat the oven to 400F and start to roll out the pie crust. Roll both pie crusts out until they are 1/4 inch thick.
- Add the crust to your pan and add your pie filling. Add the top crust and trim any overhang. Crimp and seal the edges.
- Add an egg wash over the top of the crust. Finally, make a hole in the middle of the top crust to allow the steam to escape.
- Cook the Chicken Pot Pie until golden brown, about 25 - 30 minutes. Allow the pie to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: Chicken Broth, chicken pot pie, dinner, pie crust