This easy homemade black bean burger recipe is the perfect meal for your next cookout or weeknight dinner. They are hearty, and delicious with a hint of spice.
- 3 cups black beans, cooked, or 1 cup dried
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, or 2 - 3 small onions, sliced
- 1 (8oz) package mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Ghee or vegetable oil for frying the burgers
- Hamburger buns
- Sliced red onions
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced cheddar cheese or American cheese
- If using dry beans, pick out any bad beans and rinse. Cook in an Instant pot on high pressure for 35 minutes. Or on the stove for 2 - 3 hours. Drain bean juice, and set aside.
- On medium heat, cook the sliced onions in a large skillet with butter and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Cook until the onions are translucent, 7 minutes. Then add in the sliced mushrooms, stir occasionally. Cook until the onions are soft and caramelized and the mushrooms start to brown, 15 minutes.
- Next, add in the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes to deepen its flavor.
- In a food processor, add the drained black beans (reserving ¼ cup), and the sauteed mushrooms and onions. Pulse the mixture for 30 seconds. You want the mixture to still be chunky.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the bean mixture, chili powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, ground paprika, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, flour, and a beaten egg.
- Heat ghee or vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet. Make ¼ cup-sized burgers, press them down gently and cook for 3 - 4 minutes per side, until they are very golden brown. Allow the black bean burgers to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve on hamburger buns with sliced cheese, lettuce, tomato, and red onion. Enjoy!
Keywords: black bean burgers, black beans, mushrooms, onions, best black bean burgers, vegetarian, vegetarian recipes