Farro salad with feta has hearty tender farro, chopped cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, and feta cheese all tossed with extra virgin olive oil, tangy lemon juice, minced garlic, and cilantro.
It is the perfect side dish for roasted chicken, or to eat as a light meal. This farro salad can be prepared in advance and served throughout the week for quick lunches or as a side salad!
What is Farro?
What is your favorite whole grain? Mine is definitely farro. It is a hearty ancient grain with a nutty and chewy texture that is the perfect base for a salad. While you might think of a farro salad as only a summer side dish, it really is an anytime dish! It is filling, wholesome, and nutritious!
How to Cook Farro
1. In a medium-size pot, bring chicken broth or water to a boil.
- I love to cook the farro in chicken broth because it adds so much flavor to the cooked farro.
2. Rinse and drain the farro to remove any starch. Then add it to the pot. Mix, cover, then lower the temperature to a gentle simmer.
3. Cook the farro until it is tender.
- This recipe uses a quick cooking Italian farro. It is usually done in 10 - 15 minutes. If your farro is not quick cooking, or a different variety it may take longer to cook and need more water/ chicken broth.
4. Once tender, add in minced garlic for additional flavor.
You can store cooked farro in the refrigerator for several days until needed.
Tools and Ingredients You May Need for This Recipe:
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure here.
I hope you give this farro salad with feta a try! Have you ever tried farro before? Do you like it? Let me know in the comments!
Don’t forget to leave me a star rating, or tag me on Instagram (@themidwestkitchenblog)! Thank you for reading! Enjoy!
Looking For More Recipes?Print
Farro salad with feta is the perfect side dish for roasted chicken, or to eat as a light meal. This farro salad can be prepared in advance and served throughout the week for quick lunches or as a side salad!
- ¾ cup dry farro
- ¾ cup chicken broth or water*
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cucumbers, chopped
- Few slices of red onion
- 3 tablespoons cilantro or parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Rinse and drain the farro.
- In a medium-sized pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil, then add in the farro. Lower the heat to a simmer, cook the farro covered until tender, 10 - 15 minutes.
- Once the farro is tender, add in the minced garlic and olive oil. Allow the farro to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked farro, chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, a few slices of red onion, chopped cilantro or parsley, salt, black pepper, and crumbled feta cheese. Mix together, taste, and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve and Enjoy!
*My farro is quick-cooking, if using a different variety it may take longer to cook, and use more chicken broth or water
This farro salad with feta lasts for several days in the refrigerator.
Keywords: farro salad with feta, farro salad, farro recipes, salad, side salad