Homemade Flour Tortillas are so easy to make! They taste amazing and are so much better than store-bought.
I love making these tortillas when I make chicken fajitas or homemade enchiladas. They are soft and fluffy with just a hint of char from the cast iron skillet.
How to make Homemade Flour Tortillas
In a large mixing bowl combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Then mix in the vegetable oil or ghee to make coarse crumbles.
Heat some water until it’s very warm but not boiling hot. Add the hot water to the flour mixture and stir with a fork. The dough will be sticky, but firm.
Knead the dough for 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover with a bowl or a damp cloth for 30 minutes.
Heat a dry – without any oil, cast iron skillet while you divide the dough.
Divide the dough into 6 sections. Take one section and using a rolling pin, roll 1 section into a 7 – 8-inch circle.
While rolling out one section of the dough, keep the other sections covered, to keep them from drying out.
Once the cast iron skillet is hot, place the rolled out tortilla onto the pan. If the skillet was hot enough it should start bubbling up. If not, just take the tortilla out of the pan and wait a few more minutes.
Cook on either side for 1 – 2 minutes, or until your desired level of browning on both sides. Place on a paper towel-lined plate and cover. Repeat with the remaining sections of the dough.
I like to roll out two tortillas at a time, that way I always have a tortilla ready to be cooked.
Once all the tortillas are done, they are ready to use in your favorite recipes or to eat as is! Enjoy!
Inspired by Tastes of LizzyT
Looking For More Recipes?Print
Homemade Flour Tortillas pair well with chicken fajitas or homemade enchiladas. They are soft and fluffy with just a hint of char from the cast iron skillet. Recipe yields 6 tortillas
Inspired by Tastes of LizzyT
- 1 3/4 cup All-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil/ ghee
- 1/2 cup warm water
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in the vegetable oil or ghee into the flour and mix to create coarse crumbs.
- Mix in the warm water into the flour mixture with a fork. The dough will be sticky and a bit firm.
- Knead for five minutes, until you have a smooth elastic ball of dough. Add extra flour as needed if the dough starts to stick to your hands or the counter too much.
- Cover the dough for 30 minutes, with a damp towel or a bowl.
- After the dough has rested, heat a cast-iron skillet.
- Divide the dough into 6 sections. And roll out one section. Keep the other sections covered.
- Roll out one section of the dough into a 7 – 8inch circle and cook in the cast-iron skillet.
- Cook each side for 1 – 2 minutes, or until the desired level of char is reached on both sides.
- Place cooked tortillas on a paper towel-lined plate and cover until finished cooking all tortillas.
- Repeat steps 7 – 10, with remaining sections of dough.
Keywords: Flour Tortillas, Homemade, Homemade Tortillas, Tortillas