Homemade sushi rolls are simply delicious! This easy step-by-step recipe shows you how to make them using your favorite toppings and fillings. These rolls are made of smoked salmon, cucumber, carrots, and avocado.
- 2 avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 16 oz smoked salmon
- Cream cheese, optional, cut into thin logs
- Pickled ginger
- Soy sauce
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Start by placing the bamboo mat inside a plastic gallon bag. This makes the rolling process so much easier.
- Place one sheet of nori onto the bamboo mat, then add ½ cup of cooked seasoned sushi rice. Spread evenly with a spoon, leaving a 1-inch space without rice on the section of the nori sheet away from you.
- Next place 2 -3 slices of avocado, a few sticks of cucumber, carrots, a thin log of cream cheese if using, and a few slices of smoked salmon at the end of the nori sheet closest to you. Grab the edge of the bamboo mat and gently but firmly fold it over the fillings, using your hands to hold the filling inside as you roll. Squeeze the roll to make sure everything is in place starting from the middle and pressing outwards. We want the roll to be as tight as possible without squeezing out the fillings. Then fold the roll over again until you reach the end, squeezing the roll each time.
- Set aside and repeat with remaining nori sheet and filling. You should have 7 rolls total.
- Allow the sushi rolls to chill before cutting and serving for the best taste.
- When you are ready to serve. Use a sharp knife to cut the ends of the sushi rolls off, then cut the rolls 1 - 2 inches thick. You should have 8 pieces per roll.
- Serve sushi rolls on a platter with soy sauce and wasabi. Enjoy!
To store leftover sushi rolls. Tightly wrap them individually in plastic wrap then placed them inside a gallon bag. Homemade sushi rolls are good in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
After you have finished making the sushi rolls, allow them to chill for 30 minutes - 1 hour before serving for the best taste.
Keywords: homemade sushi rolls, sushi rolls, sushi recipes, sushi ideas, salmon roll, smoked salmon roll, Philadelphia roll