Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is the perfect autumn soup. The sweet roasted butternut squash, and roasted potatoes, dried thyme, and homemade chicken broth all add flavor to the soup to make it both comforting and filling for cold autumn nights.
How to Make Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Add parchment paper to two 9 x 13 baking pans and set aside.
Peel, rinse, and cube the potatoes and the butternut squash. Wear plastic gloves while doing this so you don’t get the squash sap on your hands.
Add the potatoes and the butternut squash to their own pans and drizzle vegetable oil/ ghee on both and a pinch of cayenne pepper to the butternut squash. Roast the veggies until they are soft and the potatoes are just starting to brown.
In a medium pot, on medium heat saute the onions, carrots, and celery until soft. Then add the minced garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, then add Homemade Chicken Broth. Cook the soup for 30 – 40 minutes.
Blend the soup using either an immersion blender or regular blender in 2 cup portions.
Serve the Butternut Squash Soup with fresh thyme, or pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
Looking For More Recipes?Print
Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is the perfect autumn soup. The sweet roasted butternut squash, and roasted potatoes, dried thyme, and Homemade Chicken Broth all add flavor to the soup to make it both comforting and filling for cold autumn nights.
- 1 medium butternut squash (peeled, seeds removed, cubed)
- 3 potatoes (peeled, and cubed)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 – 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3 cups Homemade Chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil/ ghee
- Start by preheating the oven to 400F degrees. Line two 9 x 13 baking pans with parchment paper, set aside.
- Peel, remove seeds, rinse and cube a medium butternut squash and add to one of the baking pans with a drizzle of vegetable oil/ ghee and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Peel, rinse, and cube the potatoes and add them to the other baking pan with a drizzle of ghee.
- Bake the butternut squash and potatoes until done and the potatoes are just starting to brown, about 40 – 50 minutes.
- In a medium pot saute the onions, carrots, and celery until soft with 2 tbsp of ghee, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, thyme, salt, and black pepper and cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the cooked butternut squash, and potatoes to the pot with the chicken broth. cook for 30 – 40 minutes so all the flavors can cook together.
- Next, take an immersion blender and blend the soup in the pot until blended.
- Alternatively, you can wait about 30 minutes to let the soup cool a bit, and blend it in a regular blender. Transfer 2 cups of the soup into the blender and blend until smooth. Repeat with the remaining soup.
The soup will be thick once it’s blended, you could leave it as is or add more chicken broth until the desired consistency is reached.
Keywords: Butternut squash, Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, soup