These soft and chewy sugar cookies are everything you want in a sugar cookie! They are light with a hint of crunch. The vanilla extract is a must because it adds flavor to this cookie. The cookies keep their shape while baking and the dough does not need to be refrigerated before baking, so they can be enjoyed in 30 minutes from start to finish.
These cookies come together very quickly once you have softened your butter. I usually take the butter out about 30 minutes before I’m ready to start baking, then after that, they are ready for the oven in about 15 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure here.
Kitchen Items You Might Need For This Recipe
How to Make The Sugar Cookies
Step 1. Start by creaming together the softened butter with the sugar until light in fluffy, 1 – 2 minutes.
Step 2. Next, add the vanilla extract and egg. The vanilla extract is a must because it adds flavor to these sugar cookies. Mix until just combined.
Step 3. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until there is no more flour, you don’t want to over mix!
Step 4. Roll the cookie dough into smooth 1 tablespoon balls, you will get 20 cookies depending on how big you make the balls. You will want to space the cookies about 1 – 2 inches apart. These cookies won’t overspread, but they need some room on the cookie sheet as they bake.
Step 5. Bake in a 350F degree oven for 10 – 14 minutes, or until they are lightly golden around the edges. They will look a little soft in the middle, but that’s ok, they will continue to cook on the cookie sheet.
Step 6. After they come out of the oven, I let them rest on the cookie sheet for five minutes, because they need a bit more time to cook but they would lose their soft chewiness if I cooked them for five more minutes in the oven. After which I let them rest on a wire rack to completely cool.
These soft sugar cookies are a perfect accompaniment to a hot cup of tea or a glass of milk. Enjoy!
Looking For More Recipes?Print
These Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies are everything you want in a sugar cookie! They are light with a hint of crunch. The vanilla extract is a must because it adds flavor to this cookie. Makes 20 cookies
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened (1/2 cup of unsalted butter)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a stand mixer, cream together softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and mix until combined. Don’t over mix!
- Shape cookie dough into one tablespoon balls and place them on a cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 -14 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
Keywords: Chewy sugar cookies, Sugar cookies