Delicious Tomato Red Lentil soup is one of my favorite soups to cook. It has red lentils, tomatoes, chicken broth and spices to create a delicious soup!
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 medium carrot (diced)
- 1 medium celery stalk (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp organic dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp organic dried oregano
- 1 organic bay leaf
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth
- 1 cup organic red lentils
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup water (if soup is too thick)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil/ ghee
- In a large pot, start by satueing the diced onions in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil/ ghee, until they are soft. Next, add the celery and carrots- cook until they are soft as well.
- Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, and oregano. Cook for 30 seconds - 1 minute to cook the garlic and lightly toast the spices.
- Next, add the can of tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook out the bitter taste of canned tomato sauce. Then add the chicken broth and bay leaf. Cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the red lentils. Red lentils are really starchy and the water won't run clear while you are rinsing them, so just give them a good rinse then add them to the pot with the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook the lentils until they are soft, 20 - 25 minutes. If the soup is a little too thick add 1/2 cup - 1 cup of water.
- Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Homemade Polenta Cornbread and enjoy!
Store in the fridge for a week.
Keywords: lentil soup, red lentil soup, red lentils, soup, summer, tomato red lentil soup, tomatoes, winter