Vegetable Lentil soup is light enough for an easy summer dinner, and comforting enough for cold winter nights. This soup is made with fresh, easy-to-find ingredients such as mixed veggies, green lentils, homemade chicken broth, juicy tomatoes, and spices, so it can be made at any time!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure here.
Green lentils weren’t an ingredient that I had cooked with before this recipe. I wasn’t sure how they would taste or what to do with them.
Lentils are a legume and don’t have a strong flavor, but they add protein and a nuttiness to the soup that pairs well with the other ingredients. They are like a lighter version of beans and really make this soup the best.
How to Make Vegetable Lentil Soup
Step 1. Start by heating up the oil/ ghee and sauteing the onions, carrots, and celery one at a time for five minutes each. This creates more flavor to the soup.
Step 2. Next, add the garlic, cumin, curry powder, thyme, and black pepper. Cook for about 1 minute while stirring to prevent burning. Then add the tomato sauce and My Homemade Chicken Broth and cook, covered for 10 minutes.
I prefer my homemade chicken broth but you can use whatever you have. You could also substitute the chicken broth for veggie broth if you prefer. I wouldn’t recommend water, because the final soup would not be as flavorful, but use whatever you have!
Step 3. While the tomato sauce is cooking with the sauteed veggies and spices, rinse the green lentils and remove any bad ones if there are any.
Step 4. After the soup has cooked for 10 minutes, add the rinsed lentils to the pot.
Step 5. Cook until the lentils are tender. Once tender, add the mixed veggies to the soup then cook until heated through. This step will only take a few minutes, then enjoy!
Looking For More Recipes?Print
Vegetable Lentil soup is light enough for an easy summer dinner, and comforting enough for cold winter nights.
- 3 tablespoon ghee/ vegetable oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch of curry powder
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 (15) oz can of tomato sauce
- ½ cup green lentils
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Heat oil, then sautee onions on medium-high heat for five minutes.
- Add celery to the onions and cook for five minutes, then add carrots, then cook for another five minutes.
- Make a hole in your onion mixture then add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir the garlic into the rest of the veggies so it doesn't burn.
- Add the black pepper, salt, thyme, cumin, and curry powder. Let the spices toast with the veggies for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and a can of tomato sauce. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, rinse the lentils - pick out any bad ones Then add to the soup. Cook the lentils for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Add the mixed veggies and cook for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup while it's hot.
The soup keeps in the refrigerator for about 3 - 4 days.
Keywords: lentil soup, lentils, mediterranean recipes, soup, vegetable lentil soup, veggie soup