These chocolate chip cookies with walnuts are soft and chewy with slightly crispy edges. Filled with chopped walnuts and melty chocolate they are a delightful treat right out of the oven!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read the full disclosure here.
I'll have to admit that sugar cookies are my favorite type of cookie, but there's nothing like a warm chocolate chip cookie with a cold glass of milk! It hits the spot every time and this recipe is super easy to make in under 30 minutes inside of one bowl!
Dry ingredients - all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Large egg - to bind all the ingredients together.
Unsalted butter(softened) - if you are using salted butter, reduce the amount of salt in the recipe to ¼ teaspoon.
Cane sugar - to give the perfect amount of sweetness.
Brown sugar - the key to making these cookies soft and chewy. I don't usually keep brown sugar on hand so I make it by mixing 1 - 2 teaspoons of black strap molasses with cane sugar.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips - use whichever kind you like!
Chopped walnuts - I love the little bit of crunch the walnuts add to these chocolate chip cookies.
How To Make This Recipe
All ingredients, measurements, and instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step one. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, then set aside.
Step two. In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients, then set aside.
Step three. Cream softened butter, brown and white sugar together until light and fluffy, 3 - 5 minutes.
Step four. Next, add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix until combined.
Step five. Add the flour mixture to the egg/sugar mixture, and stir until there aren't any more flour streaks. Then fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
Step six. Using a cookie scoop place cookie dough on a sheet pan leaving 2 inches of space between. Roll into smooth balls then bake for 12 - 14 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown and crisp. The centers will be a little soft, but this is ok!
Step seven. Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer them to a plate or cookie rack to cool completely. Serve with a glass of milk and enjoy!
Sheet pan with a wire rack, I love to metal because the cookies bake more evenly.
Cookie scoop(2 Tablespoon), similar
Looking For More Sweet Treats?
Click here to subscribe to The Midwest Kitchen Blog’s Newsletter for recipes straight to your inbox!
If you love this recipe, pin it to Pinterest for later or share it on Instagram by tagging me (@themidwestkitchenblog).
Don’t forget to leave this recipe a 5-star rating!
Have a blessed day!Print
Chocolate chip cookies with walnuts are soft and chewy. They are sweet, nutty, and loaded with flavor and everything is made in one bowl!
- 1 cup + ¼ cup organic all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
- 6 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 6 tablespoon organic brown sugar*
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, and/or ½ chocolate bar roughly chopped
- ¼ - ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper then set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt until incorporated. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and both sugars until it's light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the egg and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the flour mixture into the egg/sugar mixture until there aren't any more streaks of flour.
- Add the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Use a cookie scoop to form smooth dough balls (2 tablespoons), and place them 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. This recipe makes about 1 dozen cookies.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, or until they are lightly golden brown on the edges. The middle will be a little soft. Don't overbake!
- Take them out of the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for another 5 minutes. Serve with a glass of milk or your favorite drink! Enjoy!
- If you don’t have brown sugar, stir together 1 teaspoon of molasses and 6 tablespoons of white sugar.
- If the dough is spreading too much in the oven, allow the dough to chill for 20 - 30 minutes in the refrigerator so the butter can firm up a bit more.
Keywords: chewy chocolate chip cookies, Chewy sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies with walnuts, walnuts